Friday, March 11, 2011

HOUSTON SPORTS PERSONALITIES & PRO RELATIONSHIPS By LM

03-11-2011




HOUSTON SPORTS PERSONALITIES & PRO RELATIONSHIPS


Some times you come to a point in your life where you figure out the Matrix.  My friends, I have figured it out.  For the longest I been trying to figure out what's the deal with our local personalities.  Some of our personalities: journalist, columnist, or bloggers have lost a bit of their  objectivity.  All of these personalities do their job and do it well, but the relationships they have developed with players/executives of Houston professional teams is making it hard for me to take them serious.

I have been listening to John and Lance of 1560 AM (former 610 AM) for almost 6 years and to this day I am not sure who they are in bed with.   The same goes for John Lopez of 610 AM, Charlie Pallilo 790, Matt Thomas of 790, and a couple more personalities.  On the other hand, you have those who develop relationships with the professionals.  This wouldn't be a problem if their objectivity can remain intact, but when they go out of their way to defend their "DUDE" then it becomes a problem.  Let's explore.

Marc Vandermeer

Of all personalities, Marc is probably the only one that has a natural relationship beyond his control.  His relationship with the Texans has completely removed every objective bone in his body.  I will not go in depth with Marc's allegiance to the Texans and his local radio broadcast style because I have a "heater" coming soon on Marc.


Matt Jackson

I really used to respect Matt when he was with Adam Wexler and Rich Lord on 610 AM.  I respected Matt so much as a personality that I would try to convince Lesbian Craig to listen to their show (it ain't happening in this millennium).  I thought Matt was one of the few "no nonsense" type of guys, but Matt has a vice, Daryl Morey. 



I can't charge up Matt alone because a lot of people in Houston are in "AWE" over Daryl Morey's moves more specifically his ability to turn Tracy McGrady to Kevin Martin.   If you are a listener of the 790 AM Morning Show you will hear Matt defend Daryl Morey to the end.  Mr. Jackson does not feel you can blame Daryl Morey for the Rockets' misfortunes and will defend that fact by naming Daryl's accomplishments, but you don't hear Matt make excuses for Ed Wade nor Rick Smith. 

Whatever happened to WINNING at all costs?  Excuses are like assholes, everyone has one.  As a fan, I don't care about why a General Manager didn't get the job done. I care about the job getting done.   Don't get it confused, I understand that Daryl is a likable guy but as a media professional you shouldn't allow yourself to get to a point of defending a General Manager whose biggest sign is Kevin Martin.

Barry Warner

I could really let loose, but I don't even listen to the Night Show faithfully anymore.  Barry has a vast array of people in my opinion he protects.  The three that come to mind are Wade Phillips, Gary Kubiak and Yao Ming.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with Barry coveting his relationships, but when it interferes with information dissemination, then it's a problem.  This is quite often with Barry, but in his defense, he is the only personality in Houston that has asked Gary Kubiak tough questions. I challenge you to listen to Barry for a week and hear the way he speaks of Drayton McClane, Amobe Okoye and Rick Smith then listen how he speaks of Jerry Hunsicker, Wade Phillips, Bob McNair.  If I am reading my scorecard correct, neither of them has won.


Josh Innes

Now this may be the biggest surprise.  Josh Innes is mad crazy over him some Bernard Pollard.  Do you guys remember "Bottom Line Josh".  There is no in between, you are either a winner or loser, good or bad, suck or suck bad.  However when it comes to Bernard Pollard, there's a different tune and he does not hide the fact, he and Bernard are somewhat friends.  


Last week, I heard terms like "scapegoat" used in describing Bernard's situation.  It was almost like, ignore the seven or eight touchdowns given up because in the 2009 season Bernard was money.  Guess what, Steve Slaton was money in 2008 and Frank  Bush (DC) was also money along with Pollard and we certainly don't have a problem criticizing them.  Bernard had a bad year no matter what the circumstances were.  We can make an excuse for all of the defense in that case.

  • Kareem Jackson was a rookie
  • Mario Williams was hurt
  • Glover Quinn did what he was coached in the Jaguar game
  • Amobe Okoye is undersized
Come on Josh, you are "Bottom Line Josh".

WRAP IT UP

I put the spotlight on a particular set of personalities because those are the most visible instances, but truthfully all of them have their favorites.  As a fan, I want to hear the truth not this best-friend crap.  If someone made a bad decision or mistake, I would like to hear it the same way you would elevate them if they actually did something positive.

OUT




No comments:

Post a Comment