Friday, March 25, 2011

RADIO WRAP UP IN HOUSTON (1560 AM)

03-25-2011



RADIO WRAP UP IN HOUSTON (1560 AM)

Over the last couple of weeks, I have been checking out a variety of sports Talk Shows. There are a couple interesting things going on.











1560 AM





What can I say about 1560 AM?  For starters 1560 has another change in "Line Up" (big surprise).  I am starting to set my Day Light Saving Time to personnel  decisions at 1560.  Well if you haven't heard, John Harris has been promoted to National (overnights), David Nuno has been demoted to local (still national) however strangely Nuno likes it, Richard Justice has acquired yet another spot with 1560 AM.   All of these moves are predicated around Raheel or shall I call him "Baby Rich Lord" with all of the partners.    This is a change I can dig, it seems descent on the surface but only time will tell. Pretty soon 1560 AM organization chart will resemble the Houston Texans.

Lance and John is proving to be the best in the mornings but I have noticed that Lance is hugging the NFL Draft.  Lance is all over the draft with good Mocks and interviews but the fact is, until we know the NFL is going to exist, it means nothing.  I think this is almost beginning to be laughable at best with the comparisons of the Morning Shows.

Again Craig suggested a show.  All I know of Sean Pendergast is the Jim Romes 5 time Smack Off winner and I want that replicated on his show.  With that being said when I would listen to Sean and John, I wanted SeanCablinasian but all I got was "Sports Talk Personality" Sean, that was boring to me.  I know Lesbo and he's guided towards the writer personality and he would always tell me Sean Pendergast is good but there's no way in hell I am going to turn off Matt Thomas for a dude I perceive as a CLONE.  
It's funny how things happen because it was Craig that turned me on to Matt Thomas.  To make a long story short,the Astros are playing Spring ball, Matt Thomas has been off the air so I have been forced to listen to Rush Limbaugh but one day, I decided to listen to Sean.  Silently I listen with no interaction until one day, he hit on PAWN STARS.  It was then I had to make my presence known.







PAWN STARS



Unless you have been living under a rock, Pawn Stars is a show on the History Channel trying to depict a family of males running a Pawn Shop in Las Vegas (brilliant) while delivering historical information about the world.  




The typical show is:
  • Patron finds and expensive item
  • Pawn Person ask person "What do you know about this item"
  • Patron gives a "cheesy" reply
  • Pawn Person ask "How much do you want for this"
  • Patron replies with a Market Value amount
  • Pawn Person says "I don't know about this piece but I will bring in an expert"
  • Patron before entering the Pawn Shop is telling the world how much they are expecting
  • Expert examines the piece and tell them "this is worth ALOT"
  • Patron smiles
  • Pawn Clerk ask "How much do you want"
  • Patron replies "Well the expert says it worth this, so I want that"
  • Pawn Clerk giggles and say I am not going to give you that but how about if you bend over, grab your ankles and just be cool "it's gonna be a bumpy ride"
This is TV gold.  I am an avid Pawn Star follower and Sean  talked about the Big Hoss "Bar fight" story and I was all in.  The grandson of Pawn Stars was arrested for a bar fight in a town outside of Los Angeles.  In addition to the Big Hoss story, Sean managed to weave in some sports but it was clear that Pawn Stars was the topic of the day.  Everyone knows that Sean is Notre Dame down but he actually can go outside of the clover.



When I look at the way Twitter, Facebook, Google, Yahoo and a couple other IT firms has come together, it's simply amazing in the radio market they are still pumping this archaic theory of not saying another stations name because listeners will tune in to the other stations.  
Yes I am talking about Jim Rome not having Sean in the Smack Off.  How about the radio market fast forward about 20 yrs.  Newsflash! KILT, all of your followers with that little red dot on their avatar listens to another station.  I mean what are you going to do next, remove your followers because they have committed the cardinal rule of all sins, listening to someone else?



What's LM's take on Travis Rodgers?  It's hard for me with Travis because I simply despise National Media coverage however I have been peeping the Travis Now Show.  I have only been listening for a short time but he seems to get plenty of local love in the show.  It's absolutely clear who was the brain behind Jim Rome.  I have been told by other affiliates of HMW, Travis Rodgers is boring radio but I can't give him that card until I have thoroughly evaluated it myself.   


WRAP IT UP
Lately I have been disgusted with Sports Talk but 1560 AM has brought that comedic element that make the taste a little more palatable.  I still feel the station as a whole has an occult/fraternity type of vibe but it's not like they are rejecting anyone (fans) in the club, however if we are talking about hiring practices, that's a different story.  




1560AM KGOW, is keeping the market interesting with the innovative ideas which are fan inclusive.  Little things like the symbol on your avatar or this new slogan campaign.  I can see why so many fans follow them faithfully even if the programming is weak or strong because they make the effort to show the fans they appreciate them.


Welp, let me set my watch for the next new line up.























LM






No comments:

Post a Comment