Saturday, April 23, 2011

610 PAPER FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP AT Loggia Sports Bar BY LM

4-24-2011




SPORTS RADIO 610 PAPER FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP BY LM

For the past 2 weeks, I've been hearing Sports Radio 610 promote some Paper Football gibberish.  Actually I heard the guys in deep talks about paper football and I didn't understand the fascination with the childhood game.  Then it hit me, Gavin Spittle "The sneaky SOB" was about to put on an event.  Paper Football Championship at Loggia Sports Bar in Sugarland, TX.

PAPER FOOTBALL

I want to say they had about 5 to 6 tables set up as the guys paired off.  It appeared that Ana Meagan and Gavin Spittle were the key officials of the game.  It brought me back to a happy place to see the guys play a game that basically consumed most of middle school tenure.  Granted I only watched one portion of a game but I seen guys kicking their field goals the easy way (the long side), we use to kick the ball in the angle's bend.  Nevertheless, it was fun to see the game played.




Loggia Sports Bar

Loggia is really nice set up.  I am in the area quite often so I was a tad familiar with the location.  Although this is minor to most but what I like about Sugarland Town Center is the parking.  Free garage parking.  I have always loved their big screen TVS in addition to the space and patio.  Every commercial establishment in that area may have stumbled on a brilliant idea being they are seconds away from Sugarland's City Hall which by default almost eliminates the criminal element unless we are talking about dumb criminals.  I like it.

WRAP IT UP

Upon learning who would be in attendance, when I heard Greg Koch would be there, I knew I had to meet him.  I only stayed about 10 to 15 minutes at most but I got the chance to meet Greg in addition to Mike Meltser.  The usual suspects were clearly visible.  Josh Innes and Mike were cool.  I talked with John Lopez for a minute as well as Robert and Shaun.  I really didn't get a chance to talk to Gavin because he was working the games but all of the guys were really nice nothing shady.  It really boggles the mind how these guys can come off as pricks on the air but in person they are regular guys.  





Of the four Sports Talk Stations, 1560 The Game and Sports Radio 610 are the only stations with remote events I have attended.  Both stations know how to put on an invent and show their fans "we appreciate your ears".  I have to say 1560 is the best though because they do it more frequently and have more of a personal relationship with their fans.  On the other hand 610 kicks ass because when they put on a party they go all out with every personality in attendance playing the role of politician (greeting fans and kissing babies).  Last year I was a participant in Fan Fest and I was thoroughly impressed with the attendance and caliber of stars involved.  I think it would be almost impossible for Sports Radio 610 to top last year's Fan Fest but knowing Gavin he will have President Obama there on one of the panels.

I understand, Sports Radio 610 is CBS therefore they have certain protocols that must be followed but in my opinion if they got to know their fans a little more, people wouldn't think they are a bunch of college frat boys.  It would be nice if any of the stations could find their way in the "Hood" every now and then.  I am sure people in Sunnyside, South Park, Fifth Ward are also listening.  Here's a twist, the Houston Texans, has a Boys and Girls Club across the street from king's Flea Market.  Not quite South Park but a South Park haven.  If the Houston Texans can come in the hood why the stations can't? 


Mad UPS for Sports Radio 610 for a descent event.


Below is a snippet of the event.




OUT
















































No comments:

Post a Comment