Sunday, June 5, 2011

2011 FAN FEST (SPORTS RADIO 610) BY LM

6-06-2011



2011 FAN FEST

The bad thing about attending events of people you cover, you realize they are regular people like you.  I can only imagine what John McClain and other beat writers of professional go through.  As a professional radio listener, it is my duty to tell you my thoughts about 2011 FAN FEST.

Before I get started, Sports Radio 610 put on an awesome event however I had more fun in the concourse of Reliant Center.  I arrived at Reliant Center about 2:30p.  John (new creep) and  I talked in the hall for almost an hour about social injustices, military, and Sunny Side.  The conversation was so interesting, I almost forgot about Fan Fest.

2011 FAN FEST



Craig, John and I fell in Fan Fest through a huge inflated Texan Helmet.  Through the door to the left awaited Warren Moon, Haywood Jeffries and Alonzo Highsmith with John McClain.  There was a mad crowd, similar to the crowd at the end of last year's Fan Fest.  I guess the whole time as I was looking at some of my all time Houston pros, I was thinking, why in the hell Haywood Jeffries look as if he's 25 years of age.  Haywood has to be pushing like 45 to 50 and he look younger than me.  The big homie John (creep) was looking at Alonzo like who is he.   Warren Moon looked extremely smaller and bald. Yes, Warren Moon done gone AGG with it.  As a professional radio listener, I was in awe.  


OBSERVATIONS


When the word FREE goes wrong.  Gavin word to the wise, don't tell black people something is free because we take that like the gospel and expect EVERYTHING to be free.  Right off Fannon to the Holly Hall exit, the parking attendant said "You got $10", I was like Nah this suppose to be free, I'm with Fan Fest.  I was broke as a joke therefore I had to prostitute my charm.  I ended up paying .50 cent.  Last year I am positive the parking was free however there were High School graduations going on so the crowds could have gotten mixed up.  




All of the personalities went out of their way to speak and be cool hosts of the party with one notable exception.  I am not sure if Rich Lord was in disguise or purposely staying out of HMW's zone.  I told Craig, I didn't see Rich at all but Craig said he seem him stashed out over near the stage in the corner.  Of course, Barry Warner was working his wits by greeting everyone and blasting Craig and I name over the whole damn arena.  It was at one point, Barry and Craig were face to face and you didn't know if they were about to squab or kiss but they were just having fun.  Kim greeted Craig graciously while at the same time becoming a human buffer zone.  
Anna Meagan was very happy to see Craig as well.  Josh Innes is growing a human life form on his face, we are talking about the white version of Rick Ross.






The last three panels were, Warren, Tom, and Dan Pastorini in that order.  I am not sure if this was by design but the outcome of Dan Pastorini was far different than it was last year.  Most of the people were at the Moon panel and I felt Warren Moon should have been last.  No offense to Dan Pastorini but I think over the last two years, we have heard every Luv You Blue story known to man.  It's to the point now when a person begin telling a Luv You Blue story the average fan can complete the story.  I understand Dan is pushing a book therefore he has to stay somewhat visible but I think his turnout would have been far greater if Moon would have been last.


The museum display was out of this world.  Enough to make you want to scream.  Every possible achievement by the City of Houston Professional sports were captured in the museum and to top it off, they had the two Rockets Championship trophies available for the fans.  The one thing I noticed about the trophies, one of them were a little banged up, I believe it was the 1994.


The venue looked rather cluttered with all of the festivities and events for the kids.  Moonwalks, Budweiser Trucks, hockey arenas you name it.  It almost looked like aSharpstown Mall Carnival which could have been the reason the crowd looked anorexic.  Reliant Center was spread out whereas last year's Fan Fest was limited to the West Wing of Reliant.  The West Wing is considerably smaller therefore the crowd could have been deceptive.  Reliant Center was simply bigger which gave people a little more elbow room.


WRAP IT UP


HMW got mad love at Fan Fest and it's always cool to talk to the personalities when they are not in "radio mode".  Things that Gavin may consider; I overheard John McClain and Craig talking about the event as Craig suggested they may want to consider music.  Music in the form of a local band.  We are not talking strippers and spitting up blood on the stage but something to make the people loosen up a little bit.


If I were Gavin, next year I would secure my guests as he have done and gage the fans to who they want to see of the professionals committed.    I think too many assume the Luv You Blue era is money but in reality we are talking about a limited part of the population who actually followed them.  Sure I can appreciate it but if I brought my son who loves football would probably be ready to go home looking at Dan Pastorini and a guy I never knew until last year.  I think this was completely at play with the turnout of Moon v Pastorini.  


One side joke, at some part during the Pastorini panel, John asked the crowd "who was the best QB in Houston" and Craig yelled "Vince Young".  OMG, from that point on, Dan was looking in the direction of HMW as if he wanted to come off that stage and whoop some major ass.  Close to the duration of his time on stage he was giving us the eyes of hell.


BELOW IS A LIL OLE FAN FEST LOVE BY HMW



OUT


If I were to judge it, I would give it an A- .  I got to see my favorite QB.  I have met Warren Moon multiple times but to know what he had to endure in HOUSTON in the 80s is still a treat.  I am sure the old heads like Barry Warner, Ralph Cooper, Max Edison, John McClain and Lance Zierlein can tell you how things were for Warren back in the days.
























LM
HMW
Itunes Search: HoustonMediaWatch (One Word)
Email: hmw_lm@yahoo.com, houstonmediawatch@yahoo.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/HMW_CREEPS
Facebook Search: Hmw Shelton & Craig Shelton and join both

No comments:

Post a Comment