Thursday, June 9, 2011

CURRENT SPORTS LISTENING HABITS BY LM

6-9-2011

CURRENT SPORTS LISTENING HABITS

From time to time, I like to throw the market a bone.  In a business where Personal People Meters control rather you have a job or not (in some cases), I think it's HMW's job to give the market a "Human Element" to what is hot in Houston.  If you do not know what Personal People Meters are, it's a small electronic device given to a small percentage of the population to gage what the fans are listening to.
  
Some will debate, PPMs are not an accurate measure since the sample size is very small in their opinions.  Statistics 101 states a sample size of 30 is accurate enough to produce a Standard Bell Curve within 2 standard deviations but that's besides point.  If we were to compare this article to College Football Polling, I would be the human element of the poll.

Currently, my radio listening habits have been thwarted with the recent events of Bin Laden but honestly, sports is so dead in Houston, it's depressing to listen to anything not football.  I find myself texting shows asking them to let me know when they talk football.  Some reply, some laugh but Football is what I want.  
MORNINGS
Adam Wexler/Matt Jackson
John Granato/Lance Zierlein

In a former life, my mornings were consumed by Marc Vandermeer, Andre Ware, Adam Clanton, Josh Innes, John Lopez but all things come to an end.  There was a time if you told me to turn my radio from 610 in the morning, I would have thrown you some expletives.  Currently, I awake in the mornings and my station is on 610 from falling asleep to Barry And Shaun but, I go in the restroom turn the dial to 1560 and Stream 790.  


Yes, I can listen to 2 stations at once and trust me, it's not as hard as you may think because the content is very similar.  I am sure someone will say "that's like reading two books at once" actually it's not.  On a good day, I can even go for a 3fer and include some 97.9 The Boxx but this is what separates a professional radio listener to you peasants.   


Back to the mornings, between the two shows, I am guaranteed to hear everything I need to hear in terms of local sports.  Of course the Sports Radio 610 folks may say "we are doing the same thing as them", no you are not.  This is what 610 and Josh don't get, you don't dictate comedy and what's funny to us, the fans tell you whats funny and from what personality they will receive it from.  All three morning shows program "lists" in their shows 
(Dallas,VY,steroids, Pete Rose, Pop Culture)  but it's the delivery that makes it a hit.  When listening, to Lance, Adam, and Matt, I leave the show feeling as if I learned something I didn't know.  

Adam Wexler, could be feeding you a pile of BS but the depth of his statistical information gives you the feel as if he should be coaching.

Matt Jackson at times can come off as Chrissy Snow but once you get him locked in on a sports take, you know he was there, watched it, or heard it


Lance Zierlein well to be honest, when approaching Lance about LOCAL sports it's almost like being implanted in the movie Wizard of OZ and you are approaching the wizard to ask a question.  If you ever want a person to compare Lance to, look no further than Phil Hendrie.


MORE ON 1560 MORNING SHOW


I have been listening to John and Lance a little more intense to see how this new Program Director will work out.  According to the writings I have seen, this guy is suppose to be the real deal but only time will tell.   One thing I have noticed collectively on 1560 the Game, the increased amount of interviews.  I could be wrong.  When I first read of the Program Director change, the Morning Show sound horrible and dead.  I can recall tailing Craig a few times, "Dawg this sounds bad, it's almost as if no one wants to be there" however over the last couple of weeks it appears the show got it's swag back.  It's only natural, people don't receive change as well because it normally push out the legacy folks and welcome those who want to play by the new rules.

Mid Mornings
GUMBO

Currently a brother is listening to more Glen Beck and Rush Limbaugh more than the average black ears should consume.  If I am to tune in to sports it's Raheel and David but out of "just cause", FEEL ME?  It's hard because I cut for David, David is Raheel's man "one hundred grand", but I don't feel Raheel at times.  It's hard for me to accept Raheel because he claimed racism over a very trivial event in the past and I never got over it.  
Back to the show, the show is laced with lots of jokes, music and sports.  Sometimes I feel it can go off in metro-sexual land (old man gym nudity) in which I change the dial.  Not a big fan of the male anatomy being talked about on the radio.  Together the two have perfected the tag team art of interviewing their guests.  They are employees of 1560 therefore it goes without saying, they are freaking interactive on all fronts "IN-SHOW".  In addition to being interactive, they will dialogue.  This is not a an ass kissing contest where the hosts want you to call and basically tell them how great they are.  Something special to be said for a show that want to interact with their fans/audience.  
As with all of 1560 Shows, I turn the dial when Richard Justice is on.  I don't have anything against Richard Justice but he has that Pallilo, Wexler thing going on where they simply think they are smarter than the rest and that shit gets old quick.  The one thing I am really proud of, they are seizing the opportunity,  Dylan is down right now, his act is completely exposed and Meltser is a good guy with mad limitations on what he can do on the air.  As far as Jim Rome, I have all together stop listening to that cat and I feel if Raheel and David keep swinging that axe, they could be a force to be messed with.  The one thing I don't like about the show, when the guys begin talking to each other for an extended period, it becomes noise and clutter.  The initial argument gets loss.

NOON TIME
Matt Thomas
Sean Pendergast

My day revolves around NOON SPORTS TALK.  All of my obligations need to be fulfill before NOON.  Move over Jim Rome, there are new Sheriffs in town.  Matt Thomas is Wyatt Earp and Sean Pendegast is Doc Holiday.  Like the mornings, I listen to both personalities concurrently.  Matt is the man, PERIOD.  Sean is Twitter and Pop Culture.  Sean is realistic blue collar worker comedy.  When you are listening to Sean, you get the feel, I can dap this guy up and swig on some beers.  When you listen to Matt, you get the feel of a straight lace fan that studied every element of radio.  Matt knows what and what not to say.  Sean Pendegast on the other hand is like "WTF" I was a caller and this is all fun and oh by the way this is my job.  As a fan of both shows, it almost make me feel as if I am committing radio adultery listening to one without hearing the other.  No, I am not comparing Matt and Sean head up because I like both shows.  All in All, my Noons, FIYAH.


It's very known, Matt Thomas show is an HMW favorite.  I can't speak for all members of HMW but currently Matt Thomas is my favorite show.  I don't get the feel Matt is throwing out key buzzwords to get a reaction.  The show is funny, entertaining and he will interact with his audience.  I believe his social media activity can increase a tad but he does enough to be relevant.


Sean is the "big homie" because he can break all of this sports shit down to what it is "A JOKE".  Sean and I don't agree all the time but I think in our disagreements both sides were heard.  I have told Craig before, dude should change his name to Sean Twittergast; dude is a social networking beast.  There is a reason I have been listening to a local show for almost 3 months now and I hear more non local callers.  I think for exposure purposes that's freaking awesome.  When there is good there is bad, I think there are way too many Travis Rodgers references in his show.  Petty it may be but I don't see the value of the Travis references.

DRIVE TIME
Ralph Cooper
Rich Lord/Josh Innes

From 3-5pm, it's all Josh and Rich.  If you need some perverse humor to filter all the stuff you have heard throughout the day, the J&R Show is your spot. I have taken MAJOR HEAT for liking this metrosexual show but eff it, it is what it is, Drive Time was my birth to Sports Radio 610.  I will always have a spot for Sports Radio 610 Drive Time.  Rich and Josh are doing well with entertainment and the increased sports talk at a time in Houston when sports is pathetic to say the least.  I have come to accept, Josh is going to go left occasionally and Rich will continue to be sports radio headline reader personality type of guy.  I get mad at Rich because there are people in media  scuffling for a job in sports media and he acts as if sports is "blah blah" to him.  Rich Lord is the JOE BUCK 
( I only say Joe Buck because the media makes Joe out to be crap but I really don't think most fans care) of sports talk radio.  He is good at his profession but his attitude is visibly clear that he rather be home scratching his balls.  Josh Innes has brought Drive Time on 610 back to an identifiable show (good or bad). 
RICH AND JOSH EJECT CALLERS
I still knock them for not being interactive with the callers.  Too many times they listen to a callers take and say Thanks, BYE.  Come on man, we want to hear you reply to the caller's take.  Can you think outside of your prep?  There's a certain personality around town that will remain nameless who's takes are on a sheet of paper and if there are any variations of it, he will not speak on it.    Josh is doing well on the twitter front, he talks to people for the good or the bad.  Something I have noticed about the J&R Show in particular, when they get off the clock they are literally in panic mode.  For example: usually the birthday segment last the duration of the segment however one day they actually rapped up the segment about 4 minutes earlier.  They both nearly freaked because they were  with nothing to talk about for 4 minutes.  This is usually the time you hear prolonged laughter about things that make no sense.  I would think two men that like sports can easily pick up a conversation about sports to fulfill 4 minutes.  Any time they get off the clock, I pick up on this and it's probably happening all around the industry but it's visible with the J&R Show.


At Fan Fest, I felt the need to tell Josh, keep being honest DAWG.  On the Cut, Craig basically said the same about, just be honest.  THEY HATE YOU BECAUSE YOU HAVE THE BALLS TO SAY WHAT NONE OF THEM WOULD EVEN CONTEMPLATE SAYING.  Josh Innes is shaking the boat, HMW simply despise Josh when he goes into arrogant feminine mode but we cut for him strong when he tells it how it is.  With that being said, I think it's pretty stank what's going on at 610 in my perspective.  Warning, I am dealing with KILT so this could all be an act but the talk to the Boss segment was BUSH.  Why have a segment like that where 80% of the callers scorched Josh?  That aint cool as well as his coworkers taking dry shots at him every time they can to reduce him to a talented drunk.  Josh is a big boy and the BS may bounce off but I predict one day he's going to snap back.


At 5:12 pm, I switch the dial to 1430 AM (Ralph Cooper).  Ralph is going to challenge you to think about all of the bull you have heard throughout the day.  Usually throwing his audience about two to three solid questions.  Of all the personalities on air, I listen to Ralph a tad harder than others because I picture myself in a situation where I am one of few 30 yrs ago just to fast forward in 2011 with a black president and still be recognized as "ONE OF FEW", throwed off.  Once I'm finish listening to Ralph, I am usually experiencing one of two emotions, ready to fight or proud to be a human.  I wish we had more Ralphs in this market.  This market is depleted of personalities willing to cut you with words and thought.

Night Time

Well this is very easy, Barry Warner and Shaun Bijani.  Not hard at all since they are the only ones on the air.  This in addition to weekend programming by Sports Radio 610 is the only reason I believe 610 is the leader of sports and of course the professional teams.  
You gotta bring ass to get ass.  You can't be trying to compete with the big boys then throwing excuses of why you don't program in the evenings or weekends.  Here it is, 610 is leading in the ratings, and when the other stations are asked why no local programming in the evenings and weekends and they say "it's not even a measurable".  It's complete idiocy, they are whooping your ass because you don't want to fork up the capital for programming outside of weekdays.

WRAP IT UP
There you have it, my current listening habits.  I know I didn't itemize the weekend guys because it's all Sports Radio 610.  I have said this before but 610's weekend programming in terms of sports is better than the weekdays.  


Most know me in this market as an opinionated fan/caller. This is important, I am a fan.  I am a part of your audience.  I happen to like all big three sports with football being my passion.  I don't care what the crack research is telling you, fans want to hear football.  Let me be more frank, if you are talking football in Houston, TX your show will get buzz.  This is unrealistic for a host to prep a show for football only or is it?  The hosts seem to know anything football get the flow going.  I know it's a pride thing in your profession to think we want to hear what you prepared and that's cool but for the most part, it's football.  Wednesday 5-24-2011 I heard a story about illegal hits in the NFL and I quickly called John and Lance because I was happy to hear some non Lockout NFL news.  It's weird how most hosts here can quickly tell Soccer, Women Basketball and Hockey fan what the masses don't want to hear but on the other end of the equation they don't accept what the majority wants to hear.


This is there way of achieving a happy medium, their egos will not allow them to believe their prep  is not necessary.  People can't possibly only want football?  Yes people do want ONLY football.  Sure you can sprinkle in Baseball and Basketball from time to time but in a season where all 3 teams are depressed, football it is.  Lets be honest, they are telling Hockey and Soccer fan "no one is feeling that, it's a niche sport", at this point Astros and Rockets are a niche sport as well.


I am sure once the football season begin, my habits will change and hopefully new personalities will be included.  With that being said, "Ole Monty Mont" is going to switch the game a tad going forward.  HMW is a beacon of innovative thought.  I will still come at you guys the way I have over the last year but I will start judging you the way you judge your "national peers".  With the help of a few resources, I happen to know what you guys are evaluated on:  sponsorships, dead air, off the clock, ratio of sports vs metrosexual crap, prep.


BRAVO ZULU:
John&Lance
Matt&Adam
Raheel&David
Matt Thomas
Sean Pendegast
Rich &Josh
Ralph Cooper
Barry & Shaun
Greg & Brien



















LM
HMW
Email: hmw_lm@yahoo.com
Twitter: HMW_CREEPS
Facebook Search: Hmw Shelton & Craig Shelton and join both

Follow the HMW family of CREEPS on Twitter @: @LesbianCraig   @SportsMediaLM 

PLEASE JOIN US SUNDAYS 5P-6P ON KCOH 1430AM FOR "THE CUT" W/CRAIG "LESBO" SHELTON & CO-HOST, FORMER NFL-DB, MARCUS COLEMAN.

GET READY FOR HIGH ENERGY, GREAT CONVERSATION, THE COOLEST MUSIC & ALL OF YOU!!!

CALL IN @: 713-526-1430 
STREAM @: http://www.kcohradio.com

PRODUCED BY: HMW

No comments:

Post a Comment