Saturday, May 7, 2011

IS HOUSTON'S OFFENSE PART OF THE PROBLEM (REPOST) BY LM


5-7-2011 

IS HOUSTON'S OFFENSE PART OF THE PROBLEM?
I had to repost this article because I think it will come to bite us in the butt in addition to our special teams.  I hope I am wrong.

Sometimes you reach a point in your life's situation where you say "forget it, enough is enough".  After three consecutive losses by the Texans, I have reached that plateau.  I made a conscious decision to no longer care about the outcome of the Texans but like any scorned person in a relationship, you simply want to know WHY.  This very action of me trying to get answers to a problem tells you "I GOT IT BAD".  After the the Texans dropped another heart breaker to the Jets, I found myself looking at all of the games.


While watching the games, it suddenly hit me.  Our OFFENSE should take some of the blame!!!  I know this may seem blasphemous as most people are so overjoyed about our offense.

The first game I watched was the Redskins.  Texans 30 Redskins 27.  We won. YIPPE. As I watched the game I noticed and checked the box score, the Texans racked up the points and yards near the end.








The second game, Cowboys.
Cowboys 27 Texans 13

Again, points racked up at the end.






The third game, Raiders
Texans 31 Raiders 24

This is the one anomaly that disputes my argument.  Or does it?  This is the one game Gary Kubiak should use as a model.  This game was football for four quarters.










The fourth game, Chiefs.
Texans 35 Chiefs 31

Another game where the points came in the end.











OK you get the picture, I have been torturing myself by watching these games but a pattern developed.  I am not breaking any news that everyone in Houston don't already know however it's time to call stank, STANK.

It is my belief the Texans offense should harness some of the blame for the Texans' troubles.  Over the last two years I have heard adjectives such as: high octane, elite, and explosive when describing the Texans' offense but is that really the case?

Without breaking down Xs & Os, our offense inability to score in the earlier quarters is the problem.  Our defense is bad, this is not a secret but that same bad defense is staying on the field after three and outs and stalled drives by our offense.  Meanwhile, the opposition is steadily racking up the points on our defense.  Typically for 2 1/2 quarters of football every unit on the field is playing football but the Texans Offense.  Here comes "mid" 3rd quarter after the opponents defense is playing with a comfortable cushion (usually 2 or 3 touchdown lead).  Miraculously the Texans offense shows up or appear to show up for that matter.  We have seen this before somewhere, yes it was the Raiders game, but we had the cushion and our defense were lax which almost allowed the Raiders to come back.

The Raiders' game is the prototype of a winning formula for Houston.  Offensive production for 4 quarters not 1 1/2.  The Texans offense receives all of these accolades on Sunday evening and Monday morning because the scores are relatively close but the score is only score because your opponent is simply holding on for dear life and they are not playing with the same intensity as before.

During this four game skid, I don't believe a defense has beaten us however the time clock did. Throughout this season I have heard John McClain ask Gary Kubiak about the discrepancy in the halves and what's the problem.  John, theres no problem, the opposition is usually so far ahead that it's only human instinct to feel you have this game locked down and that's when Houston attempt to capitalize but always lose to the Time clock.

THE SOLUTION

Score early and fast, utilize more of the passing game.  I have been crying for a running game but I have come to the reality, the passing game is what gets the Texans back in the games.  John McClain has also hit on the fact that Matt Schaub plays better when the pressure is on him.  I don't quite believe "pressure" is the right word however if he said consistent rhythm I could stand it.  Speaking of Matt Schaub, Matt Schaub may want to elevate his passes to Andre.  I cannot count how many times Matt Schaub has thrown the ball to Andre's feet.  OH YES I CAN, 22 times.  One that even cost us a potential game in some folks opinion. 

Lastly, the Jacoby Jones factor.  I think Kubiak may have come to the conclusion that Jacoby is simply a small time player.  This dude is flashy with no flash this year.  He drops more balls than I can tolerate and  I'm personally getting fed up with the "stanky leg" theatrics before he returns a punt. Play football dude.  I think his size and speed anointed him as the number three receiver but I will gladly welcome Andersen. 

Here's the reality of it all, nothing I am saying means nothing because at the end of the year Schaub will have close to 4,000 yards, Foster will exceed 1,000, and Andre, Mario, and a couple other players will make the Pro Bowl and next year people will continue to say, OUR OFFENSE IS EXPLOSIVE, HIGH CALIBER, ELITE.

























CALIFORNIA CONDOR
HMW
Email: lm_hmw@yahoo.com
Facebook Search: Houston Media Watch
Utube Search: HoustonMediaWatch

No comments:

Post a Comment