Saturday, May 21, 2011

MATT THOMAS OF SPORTS TALK 790 SMOKES ROME IN THE MID-DAY! - CRAIG SHELTON



MATT THOMAS OF SPORTS TALK 790 SMOKES ROME IN THE MID-DAY!


Written by: Craig Shelton
Original Date posted: 05/09/2011

Dare I compare maybe the whitest-white man in the history of white men to Ralph "The Godfather" Cooper? Well, I believe that just may be the proper thing to do if I'm to avoid being remiss in my duties as a media scrutinizing blogger.
Often HMW bloggers, (myself included) identify Ralph Cooper, host of SPORTS RAP on KCOH 1430 as Houston's most important sports talk host. This shared opinion of HMW bloggers derives from Ralph's tendencies on his show where he's relentless in focusing on controversial angles on sports related issues.

Ralph Cooper is unafraid to take on any topic on his show, no matter how sensitive or risky the subject matter. Ralph is known for his stance on racial issues and has never been accused of "biting his tongue".


Every Tuesday from 5p-6p, I'm blessed with the opportunity to guest host on SPORTS RAP with Ralph, along with Vince Rachal of KGOW 1560 THE GAME. Following Ralph's lead, Vince and I often engage Ralph's callers, as well as each other on social issues that correspond with current sports topics. The conversations are often heated and very emotional, even mildly hostile at times when folks disagree. It's now become an expectation of SPORTS RAP when events occur that warrant it, that Ralph uses his show as a forum for social discussions relative to the sports world.

SCREW THE NUMBERS & CHEW ON THIS?

I've been a fan of the Matt Thomas show mid-days on SPORTS TALK 790, (Mon-Fri Noon-3p,) pretty much from the launch of his show. It's an odd match on the surface, my appreciation for Matt Thomas. Though Matt Thomas is a native of Houston who attended the "Harvard of Southeast Texas" aka the University of Houston (to borrow a phrase from Matt,) I have little else to draw on as far as social similarities with Matt. Those facts aside, over recent weeks my level of appreciation for Matt Thomas has increased to an even more substantial level.

Personally speaking, I don't give a damn what the numbers say as far as the ratings generated by one Jim Rome in the mid-days in Houston, and I'll explain why that is.


MATT THOMAS OF SPORTS TALK 790 HAS THE BEST DAMNED SPORTS TALK SHOW ON THE AIR IN THE HOUSTON MARKET MID-DAYS, BAR NONE!

Here's how a few comparisons of Matt Thomas vs. Jim Rome break down for me personally:

• Matt Thomas is funny! Jim Rome is NOT!



• Matt Thomas is always polite and accommodating to his listeners/callers. Jim Rome is NOT!

• Matt Thomas will engage his callers in a non-condescending fashion. Jim Rome is a self-promoting jerk, and a proven phony. (See Travis Rogers)


• Matt Thomas is consistently topical and appears to actually prepare for his show. Jim Rome will force-feed topics upon on his listeners i.e., "horse racing".

• Matt Thomas will take on the toughest callers and engage them. Matt Thomas not only allows callers to express their views, he encourages them to do so. Jim Rome's call screener will typically either hang up on callers with opposing views to Rome, or just won't allow them on air to make their point at all.




GAUGING SUCCESS?

One of the ways I gauge a particular show or show's host(s) is what I like to call the "Good Cop, Bad Cop" theory. My thought process isn't reinventing the wheel by any means, but more of a common sense approach. You see I fully believe in the old saying "familiarity breeds contempt". So how is that statement applicable to guaging the enjoyability measurables of what's seemingly a subjective subject matter?

The one thing for certain is, no matter what the show is, or who the show's host is, if you listen religiously to any opinion-based talk format, you will become disenchanted at some point with what you hear. This is where my "Good Cop, Bad Cop" perspective comes into play. The key components I consider in gauging a show are: how interested I remain in a show after I myself become disenchanted with a topic on the show; the opinions being expressed by the host when I disagree; the direction a host may be driving opinions on the show to coddle the host's views into general relevance; or no topical sidebar features unrelated to sports, such as stupid contests, features, etc.


Once I take into account the above articles of consideration, I'm then able to better achieve an accredited grade or opinion about a show or host(s).



There are times when I can't believe the Mayberry "white picket fence" mentality and naivete takes that come out of Matt Thomas' mouth. I find Matt's sports acumen serviceable at best generally speaking, as he's never to be confused with an elite X&O guy. That said, and to his credit, Matt Thomas is an honest guy that speaks from the heart for the most part and he's a respectful "pro". Couldn't we use a few more of those guys around this town?


Craig Shelton
HMW

Itunes Search: HoustonMediawatch (One Word)
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/LesbianCraig
Facebook Search: Hmw Shelton & Craig Shelton and join both

No comments:

Post a Comment