Sunday, May 8, 2011

"GET IT FROM YOUR MAMA!" BY CRAIG SHELTON

Posted: 05-08-2011



"GET IT FROM YOUR MAMA!"



I did some reflecting on how my mom impacted my views as a sports fan and for that matter how she may have affected my views as a sports media blogger. My mother's best attributes as a parent were always in her strength as a woman and her lead by example mentality. My mom always lived with a level of political and social awareness, but was more of a "rebel" thinker than a follower. In regards to sports, the approach my mom took with me and my siblings was what I'll call a "rollover" lesson from what she instilled in us as a work ethic professionally. My mother always told us to "outwork the guy (or gal) working next to you." That was easily applicable to our sports endeavors as we got into middle school and high school athletics.  I myself didn't compete on the collegiate level, but my brother did play defensive back at Texas Tech University. During his time at Texas Tech he had some struggles maturing timely and it was my mother who drove up to Tech and got him relocated in JUCO ball and "popped his collar" to get him refocused on the prize.



CREATING  A CULTURE OF EXPECTATIONS

Our mother never settled for excuses and she possessed an innate ability to convince us of how our behavior away from home, was still associated with the entire landscape of the family.  Therefore we had a level of built-in responsibility towards how we reflected the family name. There was a lot of focus put on the pride factor in a family's name and still today we acknowledge that when my siblings and I speak privately.


OUR MOTHER WAS MAMA & DADDY IN MANY WAYS




Though our mom never got involved physically in our sports activities, her presence was appreciated as great as the team mom's was. With her work schedule in tow, she impressively remained dedicated to assuring that we were at practices everyday we had scheduled practices. She did so in order to assure we understood what "commitment" to a team meant, and what it meant to stay committed?




Our mom was definitely busy breaking bread as a divorced parent, but she never got so out of focus to give us words of wisdom. The great thing about her teachings were how she'd drop knowledge and then go Phil Jackson and reframe from calling a "quick timeout" the first time we made a mistake. She let us take our lumps even as we became young adults without over reacting to our mistakes in life as young adults.




IT STAYED WITH ME EVEN TODAY!




I remember once being about as irritated as a kid could get with a family friend that was living with us for a short period of time. What I really remember about the situation when I complained to my mom about the individual is her reply. She told me, "son whenever you're having an issue with a person or persons, always look at yourself first, and ask yourself, what can I do to better the situation.



So if anyone is curious about what fueled me to start HMW and still drives me today? I got it from my mama!  



Craig Shelton
HMW
Itunes Search: HoustonMediawatch (One Word)
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/LesbianCraig
Facebook Search: Hmw Shelton & Craig Shelton and join both


PLEASE JOIN US SUNDAYS 5P-6P ON KCOH 1430AM FOR "THE CUT" W/CRAIG "LESBO" SHELTON & CO-HOST, FORMER NFL-DB, MARCUS COLEMAN.

GET READY FOR HIGH ENERGY, GREAT CONVERSATION, THE COOLEST MUSIC & ALL OF YOU!!!

CALL IN @:             713-526-1430 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting            713-526-1430      end_of_the_skype_highlighting      
STREAM @: http://www.kcohradio.com

PRODUED BY: HMW


No comments:

Post a Comment